I'm taking part in a Back to School Blog Hop with Rit Dye and Buttons Galore today. When you work as a professional craft designer, you often feel like MacGyver. You are given specific supplies to use and a theme and then your clients tell you to come up with something. This time, I was given, Rit Dye, buttons, and a back to school theme. You know how much I love to sew pencil cases, so that's what I decided to create. This time I made my case by dying a cotton napkin-it's sturdy and some of the hems were already done for me-what more could a girl ask for?
- White, cotton napkin
- Rit Dye in Fuchsia
- Buttons-Laura Kelly's Sweet Blush
- Embroidery Floss
- Velcro (R) Brand Sew-on Fasteners
- Basic sewing supplies
- Dye your cotton napkin. Follow Rit Dye's Microwave Dyeing technique. It's super easy!
- Once your napkin is dyed, cut out a 4.5" x 8.5" square from your napkin. If you want to use a hemmed side of the napkin, make sure you cut accordingly.
- Sew Velcro (R) Brand Sew-On fasteners to the long ends of your fabric. Sew them onto the wrong side of the fabric (as this will be the inside of your case).
- Determine the front of your bag and embellish it with applique (I created leaf shapes using the napkin scraps.), buttons and embroidery. Make sure you leave an inch or two around your design in order to leave space for you to sew the sides of your bag.
- Fold the napkin in half, right sides facing, so that you have a long rectangle.
- Sew the sides of the bag,
- Turn the bag right side out and give it to your favorite student.
Be sure to check-out more Rit Dye Back to School Projects! Click here to see what the other designers created.
Disclosure: I received product and/or payment in exchange for this post.