Today, I'm taking part in the Designer Crafts Connection Blog Hop. We were sent some of the Oly*Fun Metallics to craft with. My first thought was to use the fabric for appliques on pillows, but then I decided to PAINT the fabric instead and use it to create a really cute tote bag. Metallics are still trending and you know how much I love tote bags. One for every occassion or activity is my motto!
- 1 yard Oly*Fun Metallics. I used Gold.
- Folkart Multi-Surface Paints in Bright Pink and White.
- Fokart Stencil1 Laser Stencil-Mum
How to paint Oly*Fun Metallic fabric:
1. Lay-out the fabric, shiny side up. Using painter's tape affix the stencil to your fabric.
2. Dab the fabric with paint. Once the design is filled in, gently pull the stencil off the fabric.
3. Continue stenciling a design on the fabric in whatever pattern you choose.
4. Once you are happy with the painted on design, allow the paint to dry/set completely before you use it to sew with. Note: The metallic fabric cannot be ironed, and mine got crinkly because I lined the bag and had to pull the fabric through a small opening. I like the way it looks, but if you prefer a smoother finish, you may want to use a tote bag pattern that requires less handling and pulling.
5. Pick your favorite tote bag pattern or tutorial and use your painted, metallic fabric to sew up a beautiful bag.
Make a lot of printed fabric and save it for future projects! Head on over to the Designer Craft Connection blog to see what my fellow designers created AND for a chance to win some Oly*Fun fabric for yourself!