I love Mexican food, but I'm not particularly fond of spicy food. If it's spicy, you can bet I'm loading the meal down with sour cream…sometimes to the point that my husband asks me if I want some enchiladas with that sour cream. That being said, I do like a warmth to my food. Not necessarily physical warmth as much as that warm, filling feeling you get from eating something that is well spiced without overpowering your taste buds (or burning them off for that matter). This salsa fits the bill perfectly. It's adapted from The Pioneer Woman's recipe. She is a girl who loves hot & spicy, so I needed to tone down the recipe for my tastes. It's a really good salsa. So good in fact that I brought it to my parent's house on Super Bowl Sunday and five of us managed to eat an entire quart-sized jar of it! It tastes a lot like the salsa you get in restaurant, only you can be sure that you won't end up scooping up a large amount, stuffing it into your mouth only to realize, too late, that it's too spicy. Don't you hate it when that happens at restaurants?
Chipotle Salsa Recipe
- 28 ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes with chipotle peppers (This is the most important ingredient! Whatever you do, don't leave out or exchange this out for something else. The chipotle is what give the salsa it's heat without being spicy!)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon Abobo seasoning. You can order it here. I love this stuff! I sprinkle it on quesadillas, enchiladas, and nachos and it immediately gives the dish a deeper, more authentic flavor.
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice of 1 lime
- Tortilla chips for serving
- Put all the ingredients, except the cilantro and lime juice in a food processor. Whirl it a couple of times. You don't really want the salsa to be chunky, but you also don't want it to be liquid either!
- Pour into a bowl and stir in the cilantro and lime juice.
That's it! Really easy and the recipe makes a ton. Which is good because if your family is like mine, it's going to go fast!